Sweet Filled Paratha Recipe
Whole Wheat Flat Bread Filled With Sweet Bean Paste
- To make the dough, combine in a medium-sized bowl:
- 3 cups sifted Indian whole wheat flour (must be very fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Knead well, cover, and let rest.
- To make the filling, combine in a saucepan:
- 2 cups raw split yellow peas
- 4 cups water (enough to cover)
- Simmer about 30-45 minutes until soft, adding more water as needed to keep the peas from sticking to the pan. Drain off the water and save it and a teaspoon of cooked peas for Sweet Paratha Sauce, pg. 81.
- Puree the peas, setting aside about 1/4-1/3 cup of puree for the sauce as well as the cooked whole peas and cooking water, then add to the puree for the paratha:
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- Cook the sweetened puree for 15 to 20 minutes in the microwave, stirring every 5 minutes, or cook for about 45 minuts on the stove over low heat, stirring frequently.
- When thickened, add:
- 1 Tablespoon cardamom powder, or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- Make sure the filling is thick or it will squish out the sides when the paratha are rolled. This filling can keep for several days in the refrigerator.
- To fill the dough, use either one of the following two methods:
- Method 1: Divide the dough into 20 equal pieces. Roll these into balls and cover. Take out 2 balls at a time, and roll them on a floured surface into 5" rounds. Place about 2 Tablespoons of filling on one round. Cover with the second round, and press the edges to seal. Gently roll out to about 6 1/2" wide.
- Method 2: Divide the dough in 10 equal pieces, roll into balls of dough, and cover. Roll out on a floured surface to 5" wide. Wrap each circle of dough around 2 Tablespoons of filling shaped in a ball, and seal the seams in the dough. Gently roll out again to 6 1/2" wide; try not to pick up the circle while rolling out.
- To cook the paratha, heat a frying pan on medium-low heat with a little bit of ghee. Gently place a paratha in the pan, and lightly brown both sides. Now, paint the side facing up with the ghee, press, and flip; paint the second side and press again. Fold in half and briefly flip both sides one more time. Remove from the pan onto a dish lined with a paper towel.
- These are very sweet and filling, and taste best dipped in Sweet Paratha Sauce, pg. 81.
||Serving Size ||1|
||Protein || g|
|Fat ||3.2 g
Please do not copy this recipe. Please share it or link to it with this code:
<a href="https://www.ivcooking.com/p269_91.php">Sweet Filled Paratha Recipe: Whole Wheat Flat Bread Filled With Sweet Bean Paste</a>
More Indian Vegetarian Breads