Prepare a large counter-top or table for rolling-out the hot brittle by cleaning it well and oiling it lightly.
- Combine in a saucepan:
- 1 cup brown sugar, Indian if possible*
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted, then add:
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Continue to heat (stirring constantly or the mixture will burn) until a tiny amount of mixture dripped onto the surface of the stove is crunchy as it cools - 265 degrees on a candy thermometer or the "hard-ball stage." The mixture will be dark brown.
- Now quickly stir in:
- 2 cups roasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- Pour out onto the prepared surface, and roll out quickly and vigorously into a thin layer with an oiled rolling pin. The mixture will become brittle as it cools. Break into pieces and put on a serving dish.
- If you have difficulty with cleanup, you can pour boiling water over your pan or spoon to melt the hardened sugar.
- *White sugar also works well, but the flavor will be more bland.
|Servings ||Makes about 1 lb.
||Serving Size ||1 oz.|
||Protein || g|
|Fat ||9.2 g
Please do not copy this recipe. Please share it or link to it with this code:
<a href="https://www.ivcooking.com/p269_13.php">Chikki Recipe: Sesame Brittle</a>
More Indian Vegetarian Desserts
- Anarasay Recipe - Flaky, Egg-less Sugar Cookies With Coconut
- Balu Shahi Recipe - Glazed Sweet Doughnut Disks
- Brown Sugar Fudge Recipe - Indian Flavored Fudge From Indian Brown Sugar, Chapati Flour, and Ghee
- Carrot Burfi Recipe - Sweet Halva Squares Made From Shredded Carrot Cooked in Milk
- Chickpea Sweet Balls Recipe - Sweet, Spiced Balls of Chickpea Flour
- Chikki Recipe - Sesame Brittle
- Coconut Burfi Recipe - Sweet Squares Made From Fresh Coconut Cooked in Milk
- Cream of Wheat Balls Recipe - Sweet Balls Made With Cream of Wheat, Spices, and Nuts
- Cream of Wheat Halva Recipe - Thick Cream of Wheat Pudding with Milk and Nuts
- Fluffy Halva Recipe - Fluffy Cream of Wheat Pudding
- Fluffy Mysore Pak Recipe - Fluffy, Rich Peanut Squares
- Gulab Jamun Recipe - Milkballs in Sweet Syrup
- Indian Fruit Salad Recipe - Fruit Salad With Surprising Spices
- Laddu Recipe - Whole Wheat Flour Sweet Balls
- Mysore Pak Recipe - Chickpea Flour Sweet Squares
- Noodle Payasam Recipe - Delicately Seasoned Pudding With Rice Noodle Vermicelli
- Pedha Recipe - Powdered Milk Fudge
- Rasmalai Recipe - Sweet Ricotta Squares with Nuts and Creamy Sauce
- Rice Payasam Recipe - Delicately Seasoned Rice Pudding
- Roasted Chickpea Squares Recipe - Sweet, Spiced Squares Made From Roasted Chickpeas
- Shankar Palla Recipe - Sweet Fried Dough
- Sheera Recipe - Sweetened Whole Wheat Flour Porridge, Sprinkled With Coconut
- Shrikhand Recipe - Sweet, Thickened Yogurt With Delicate Seasoning and Powdered Nuts
- Sweet Chirote Recipe - Rich White Flour Rounds, Fried and Dusted With Confectioners Sugar
- Sweet Shankir Palla Recipe - Sweet, Puffy Fried Dough in a Sugar Syrup